Friday, February 8, 2013

Why?

That's a question I've been asking myself recently. The answer is simple: I love being clever and creating clever stories. I imagine that's one of many reasons writers ply their craft.

But then another question arises. Why bother to show it to others? I, by nature, am not a people person and never will be. I can be as charming as the next guy and make everyone around me laugh, but I can also be a jerk. Hey, who isn't at one time or another? I have a low threshold for people at times, and I tend to seek privacy more often than not. I've traditionally only cared what a few people think of me. In short, I'm not what one might call "sociable." Then why do I put my work out there for people, most likely strangers, to see? Why do I care?

Some might say it's a power trip. Could be. Money? Considering that first time indie authors don't usually make money, and that I had resolved myself *not* to make very much money until I built up a readership, I wouldn't say money was my motivation. My book Shades of Light: Book One of the Walker Chronicles has done far better than the few sales I hoped to see. The fact I've made enough money to cover the costs involved in the whole endeavor is just gravy.

After doing a lot of soul-searching, I decided my main reason for putting out my writings was to make others smile. When I first discovered books as a kid, I read a great deal and enjoyed a good story more than anything. I loved being transported away from my mundane world into places where my imagination went wild. That explains why I eventually began considering my own fantasy world and stories within it. When someone tells me how much they enjoyed my story, I truly get a warm feeling of accomplishment knowing that someone appreciates my work and was impressed by it.

Another side note concerning satisfaction would be that a friend of mine has begun devoting more time to writing a story he's been thinking about for a while. He said that when he saw what I'd done and how successful I was, not to mention that he liked the story, he became motivated to write. I was stunned and tickled pink when I heard that. Nothing beats the feeling of knowing that you've made a positive impact on someone else.

So write because you want money, praise, satisfaction, whatever. Just write if you have something to create. It's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment